Dip into coastal Maine’s rich history with easy-on-the-eyes scenery, little traffic, and plentiful mom-and-pop businesses to add to the adventure.
Acadia National Park: Acadia's mainland section, tipping the Schoodic Peninsula, offers endless ocean views and wild surf crashing on red granite slabs. Mosey along the one-way road looping around the park, and don't miss the French Norman Revival-style mansion housing the Schoodic Institute. nps.gov/acad.
Wharf Gallery and Grill, Corea: You'd be hard-pressed to find a better place for lobster, a lobster roll, or lobster grilled cheese than this idyllic spot with a front-row seat on Corea's lobster-boat-filled harbor. Inside the fishing shack are historical photos by Louise Z. Young, who was a friend of painter Marsden Hartley and also worked with noted photographer Berenice Abbott. 207-963-8888; corealunch.com.
Ruggles House, Columbia Falls: Built in 1818 for Judge Thomas Ruggles, this pint-size Adamesque-style Federal mansion is a must for architecture buffs. Highlights include a magnificent flying staircase, intricately carved moldings, a Palladian window, and some original furniture from the Ruggles household. 207-483-4637; ruggleshouse.org.
Burnham Tavern Museum, Machias: After plotting in the taproom of Job and Mary Burnham's tavern-home, poorly armed local patriots captured the British ship Margaretta on June 12, 1775, in the first naval battle of the American Revolution, the Lexington of the Sea. 207-255-6930; burnhamtavern.com.
West Quoddy Head Light, Lubec: Take Highway 189 to loop out to Lubec's Quoddy Head State Park for hiking, birding, whale watching, and visiting West Quoddy Head Light (pictured above), built in 1857. Tour exhibits in the Visitors Center, located in the 1858 keeper's house; climb the candy-striped tower, if it's open; savor views to Grand Manan Island; and walk the cliff-top trails and a bog trail on a raised boardwalk. 207-733-2180; maine.gov/quoddyhead.
Raye's Mustard Mill Museum: In Eastport, on Highway 190 off US Route 1, watch mustard being made at a traditional stone-ground mustard mill. J. Wesley Raye founded the company in 1900 to complement the family's sardine smokehouse. His descendants still use the same process and the original granite millstones shipped from France but now produce more than two dozen varieties, including Down East Schooner, a 14-time gold-medal winner at the World-Wide Mustard Competition. 207-853-4451; rayesmustard.com.
Above photo: West Quoddy Head Light | Mira / Alamy Stock Photo